Wednesday 11 July 2012

So- was it all worthwhile? 4

Every school has a snackette- staffed by women who stay the whole day.

Although both the head and the heart knows that the country's mission- One people, one nation, one destiny- is the way forward for peace and prosperity, sometimes the heart takes over and as an outsider I was sometimes made aware of differences in race, religion, culture and political affiliations.

When you leave one place, leaving everything behind, in fact you take yourself with you.
And so, the 11 months have included learning about myself.
There have been times of aching loneliness and a sense of sorrow, akin to the sheer grief of bereavement. I have missed my children, my sister and brother, my family and close friends.
My diary records "tired" days- when the effort of combating heat and humidity, or when the pressures of travel, mosquito bites, applying diplomacy, learning to negotiate procedures have all become too much- and retiring to a hammock is the only option.



VSO volunteer Monika- enjoying hammock time.



The bus park- weave through the crowds, find your bus number:- there will be several going to your destination and each driver will try and woo you onto his bus!


Aside from the tired days, and the occasional necessary unpicking of errors, the experience has been one of sharing problems, of being creative, of taking initiative, of learning to say less and listen more.
Across my work colleagues and the VSO and other volunteers I have encountered an impressive array of skills and experiences.

Three volunteers- from the USA, Kenya and the UK work with the Guyana National SEN coordinator.


There has been a lot of fun.









No comments:

Post a Comment